Financial Assistance

The economic burden of childhood cancer can be overwhelming for parents. In a recent NCCS survey, over 89% of families reported income loss due to their child’s diagnosis. The NCCS offers two types of financial assistance to help ease the financial burden of childhood cancer so families can focus on their sick child. This gives some added peace of mind to those whose incomes have become affected by their child's illness. To download an application, click here; for the application in Spanish, click here.

The Transportation Assistance Fund provides financial support for travel expenses associated with having a child in treatment (mileage, airfare, bus, train & cab fare, etc.) and paying for lodging when non-profit lodging is not available and a child needs to stay near the hospital for treatment. It also improves access to treatment for children with cancer and provides the opportunity for a second caregiver to visit a child with cancer when they are away from home for treatment.



  • Your child must be diagnosed with cancer. If your child has a brain tumor, the tumor must be high grade (III or IV) or anaplastic to be eligible.
  • Your child must have been diagnosed on or before his/her 18th birthday and treated before his/her 21st birthday. Adults who relapse after their 18th birthday and who were not previously assisted are not eligible for services.
  • Your child must be a citizen of the United States or reside in the United States with an I-551 card (green card) for 12 months without prior history of the current illness.
  • You must have less than $5,000 in easily accessible bank accounts (such as checking and savings).


The Emergency Assistance Fund provides $300 in emergency assistance per year to families who have a child that has been inpatient or away from home for (30) consecutive days within the past three months. Assistance may be used for mortgage, rent, utility payments, childcare, health insurance premiums, car expenses or treatment-related expenses such as meals away from home, prescriptions, and parking.


  • Transportation Assistance Fund eligibility must be met
  • Your child must have been inpatient for 30 consecutive days during the past 90 days OR you and your child must have been away from home/relocated for treatment for 30 consecutive days during the past 90 days.

In order to receive emergency assistance, your application must include a hospital record confirming your child’s inpatient stay or documentation confirming your relocation.